City of webster groves
Webster Groves' location on the Pacific Railroad line led to its development as a suburb. in the late 19th century, overcrowding, congestion, and unhealthy conditions in St. Louis prompted urban residents to leave the city for quieter, safer surroundings.
In 1892 the developers of Webster Park, an affluent community which would soon become the City of Webster Groves, promoted the new community as the Queen Of The Suburbs, offering residents superb housing options in a country-like atmosphere, as well as a swift commute to downtown Saint Louis jobs.
A suburban municipality, Webster Groves has its origins as five separate communities along adjacent railroad lines. Webster, Old Orchard, Webster Park, Tuxedo Park, and Selma merged in 1896 in order to implement public services and develop a unified city government.
Since that time, Webster Groves' tree-lined streets and abundance if single family homes have continued to attract people to the area as a "great place to live, work and play," not solely for the wealthy commuter suburb that early developers envisioned but for families that cut across all socioeconomic boundaries.
The geographic and economic diversity of Webster Groves is evident in the variety of neighborhoods and its successes is rooted in the cooperation and willingness of community members from all walks of life to work together toward common goals.